Chia Seed Chocolate Cake that’s eggless!
No Dairy either!!
Chia seed is all the rage and no wonder as this little seed really does pack a punch with its nutritional value! Native to South America the Chia (also gluten free) resembles the humble Sesame Seed! While Sesame Seed has a broad variety of nutrient value – the Chia is rich in Omega 3, fibre and many other nutrients such as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron and many more.
Another ingredient I often use in baking is Olive Oil! Olive Oil is classed as a monounsaturated fat and considered a healthy dietary fat just like avocado, nuts & seeds. It is said that Olive Oil is great for cardiovascular support, improving the immune system and lowering inflammation. Besides the health benefits I just love the soft texture it contributes to.
Like all foods it is important to moderate! Chia is high in fibre, so its effect on the digestive system will differ according to the amount of water consumed. Chia absorbs water and creates a mucilaginous gel and can give you a feeling of fullness due to this gelling action. It’s this gelling action that makes it so good as an egg replacement!
My experimentation lead me to this recipe and my 3 children absolutely love this cake! I hope you enjoy it also.
- 2 Cups of Spelt Flour
- 4 tsps. Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup of Cocoa Powder
- 2/3 Cup of Castor Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup of Milk (Soy, Rice, Oat – whichever you prefer)
- 1 Cup of Warm Water
- 1 tbsp. Chia Seed
- Turn Oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease 20x20cm Square Cake Tin with some extra olive oil and line with baking paper and set aside.
- With a Pestle and Mortar grind Chia Seeds until powder like (or use ground Chia – its up to you), then add 1 cup of warm water. Mix gently with a fork and put aside to rest for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl sift Flour and Baking Powder. Add Cocoa Powder and Castor Sugar and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine Olive Oil, preferred Milk and Chia Seed Mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
- Using a spatula transfer mixture into prepared cake tin and place in oven for 35 minutes.
- When cooled ice with your favourite icing. Enjoy!